Quick! Name your favorite junk food!! Uh, uh, uh….PEANUT BUTTER CUPS!!!
That was what happened to me a few days ago. It was my friend’s birthday and she wanted us to make homemade junk food. Now it is a known fact among those of you who know me, that my group of friends and I laugh and eat delicious food…a lot. Homemade or out on the town 🙂 We have this wonderful weekly gathering called Friday Night Dinners, where there is a food theme and we all bring something related to it. There is even a blog that describes each event (you should check it out, like now, here).
So, I quickly decided to make the first thing that popped into my head. Well…not true. I absolutely love Oreos, but I couldn’t find a good recipe so next best thing that popped into my mind: Peanut Butter Cups. Luckily, they are relatively easy to make and taste damn good if I do say so myself 🙂
Note the colorful display of both dark and milk chocolate peanut butter cups. Perfection right there.
Did I mention how easy they were to make? Yeah, well let me repeat my self: they are really, really, easy to make. No baking necessary either! So those of you afraid of baking, this is for you my friends. I know, I know calm yourself before your dancing gets too out of hand. You’re scaring children. But even if you aren’t afraid of baking, once you taste these little suckers you will feel like joyfully dancing as well. So beware! But for now, you can read the recipe 🙂
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
adapted from this
Yield: about 3 dozen
Prep time: 45 minutes Chill time: 1 hour, total
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup powder sugar
- 4 cups milk chocolate chips (two 11.5-oz bags)
(I used one bag dark chocolate chips and one bag milk chocolate since I love both kinds of chocolate) (They both turned out fabulous, but I would think about getting one more bag of chocolates in case you run out before you finish all 3 dozen)
- mini-muffin paper liners
- parchment paper
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1. Line a mini-muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar over medium heat. Heat until completely melted and starting to bubble a little, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the powder sugar 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until completely incorporated into peanut butter mixture after each addition. Set aside and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, until completely melted, stirring after each burst.
4. Using a small spoon, spoon a couple of teaspoons of the melted chocolate in the bottom of each mini muffin tin.
5. Use a heaping teaspoon to scoop out the peanut butter mixture, roll it into a ball, and then flatten it slightly into a disk. (But make sure they’ll fit inside each mini-muffin cup!) Place on the parchment paper lined baking sheet(s). Once finished with all, refrigerate both the muffin tins and the peanut butter patties for about 30 minutes.
6. Place each peanut butter patty on top of each chocolate-lined muffin tin. Then use a scoop or spoon to add more melted chocolate on top and around the peanut butter patties. (If the melted chocolate firmed up, just pop it back in the microwave at 50% power for 30-seconds or so to re-melt)
7. Refrigerate again for 30 minutes, then they are ready to serve! Store in the refrigerator or freezer or in an airtight container only day of. But they’re going to go quick no matter what 🙂
Enjoy and happy no baking!